Friday, June 5, 2009

Reflection

As you all know my name is lindsey. I am 19 years old and in my first year of college at EVCC. I am majoring in photography  my one main passion. Photography to me is the way i express my self to the world, i love it because I can say something with it without even saying anything at all. I have always been a creative person , always trying new ways in which i could be creative but photography was definitely the one way i was really good at. Even thought i have tried to express my creativity in writing it doesn't always come out the way i would like it to. That is why i was worried that english 101 would be a bit of a struggle for me , which it has some but not as bad as i thought. I actually enjoyed writing about the topics that was did such as community and identity. I felt like they were topics that I could really try and put my personality in to which I liked. Some of the papers i did write however i know could have been better if i wouldn't have put off writing them until the last minute. This first year of college has definitely been a long journey for me, with trying to balance out work with school work and balancing everything out. I have to say thought that for the most part I am happy with how i did in my first year of college. Coming from a small town and a small high school it was very different going to a school where i only knew maybe a hand full of people and those of which weren't in any of my classes I think it helped me grow as a person and I think you can see that in my writing. 

Through out this quarter we read about a lot of interesting people and there struggles and triumphs with different things. we first talked about identity which for me was one of my favorite sections.  The reading we were assigned really spoke to me, especially the reading by Kathy Wilson called "dude looks like a lady". This piece of writing really stood out to me because my best friends doesn't have any hair and for her it isn't a choice like Kathy. So i really could understand what Kathy Wilson was saying because i know what my best friend goes through and it similar to what Kathy does. Every topic this quarter I felt like i could relate to in some way which i liked because it made it easier to write about and explain were i was coming from. It really made me think more about the different issues such as identity and community. It also helped me realize and form my own opinions on the subject and i felt like i got to know more where i stood on certain subject such as if tradition is a good or bad things and different things like that. This quarter helped me realize what all is out there, i guess more of the real world. I got to understand more where different people were coming from  such as  Firoozeh Dumas and her struggles with her name and coming to America. Also understanding more about how other people deal with discrimination, such as the movie i watched freedom writers about those kids thats just wanted to learn but the school thought they didn't deserve the time because they were in a gang.  Everything we read and wrote this quarter really helped me more opened minded about those issues in real life. 

For my reflection of work i choose to use four piece that i was proud of and that i felt had a lot of my personality in it.  The pieces i choose were my space age a paper about My Space and pop culture, a blog called Food and Family which talks about food being a tradition , a paper about community and how its changed since my grandma was young and a blog I wrote about my work being a community. Hope you enjoy reading .

No comments:

Post a Comment